Women's track sends 12 athletes in 10 events to NCAAs

Texas women’s track and field will have 12 entries in 10 events for the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships being held June 5 through 8 in Eugene, Ore.

“I really feel like we’re peaking at the right time,” interim head coach Rose Brimmer said. “All season long I’ve been telling the girls that we have to be patient. You want to get better and better every meet and this meet just proves that we’re right on time.”

The Longhorns will be represented in the 100 meters, 200 meters, 400 meters, 5,000 meters, 100 meter hurdles, 400 meter hurdles, the high jump, pole vault and both the 4x100 and 4x400 relays.

The 4x100 relay includes senior Chalonda Goodman, junior Briana Nelson, sophomore Morgan Snow and junior Danielle Dowie.

Goodman qualified for both the 100 and 200 meters, making her one of two runners to qualify in three events alongside Nelson. Nelson will run in the 400 meters and the other relay. Snow advanced in the 100 meter hurdles, while Dowie will compete in the 400 meter hurdles.

The 4x400 relay will feature Nelson, Dowie, freshman Courtney Okolo and senior Kendra Chambers. The group ran the second fastest time at the qualifying meet.

Junior Shanay Briscoe advanced in the high jump, the event she came in fourth in at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials last year. Sophomore Kaitlin Petrillose and senior Natasha Masterson tied for seventh place and qualified in the pole vaulting event and senior distance runner Mia Behm qualified for the 5,000 meter event.