No. 3 Texas Golf looks to repeat as Champions

The defending champion Texas men’s golf team came in third place in the Fayetteville region of the NCAA Tournament to advance to the NCAA Championship for the seventh straight season and 59th time overall.

The Longhorns (285-295-297) as a team finished at a 16-over 880, good for third place in the region behind Illinois and host No. 13 Arkansas.

Texas was led by senior Cody Gribble (70-74-75) tied for 10th place at 3-over 219 . Kramer Hickok (74-74-73) and Toni Hakula (69-76-76) tied for 18th at 5-over 221, while Brandon Stone 72-74-79 tied for 26th at a 9-over 225.

NCAA Championship play begins Tuesday the 28th of May and continues through the Second of June. 150 golfers from 30 teams will compete at The Capital City Club, Crabapple Course in Atlanta.

Six additional golfers with the best scores in the regional on teams that didn’t advance, will have the chance to be crowned individual champion along with the 150 on teams that made the field.

The NCAA Championship consists of teams playing three rounds with the top four scores out of the teams of five being counted. The top eight teams then advance to five on five match-play to determine the best team in the nation.

Last season Texas squeaked by Alabama in the championship pairing to claim the Longhorn’s first title since 1972. The Crimson Tide rank second in the country and are back in the field - along with No. 6 Washington, the team Texas knocked out of the quarterfinals in last year’s tournament. 

With the tournament being held in Atlanta, No. 8 Georgia Tech is the host and is looking for its first title since 2005.  Four other Big 12 teams made the field of 30 along with Texas: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech.