Red River Rivalry series highlights weekend of Big 12 Baseball

It may be first place in the Big 12 vs. last place but it is Oklahoma against Texas so it is the series to follow this weekend. The No. 10 Sooners (25-5, 5-1) enter the weekend in sole possession of first place in the Big 12 standings, facing the Longhorns (16-11, 2-4) who are tied with TCU (13-16, 3-6) for last in the nine-team league.

The Longhorns have not dropped a series to the Sooners since 1998, and desperately need to win this weekend to boost their tournament resume as well as
halt the fall out of conference contention. Their backs will be against the wall though, with the Sooner’s bringing Dillon Overton to the mound as well as defending Big 12 Pitcher of the Week and former Texas running back (but not really) Jonathan Gray, who sports a 1.34 ERA for the season.

If Texas wins the series, they will be 4-5 or 5-4 in Big 12 play with a good chance to improve their record in the coming weeks against the Kansas
Jayhawks and West Virginia Mountaineers, which should help them return to the postseason. If the Sooners take the series, they should be able to carry their momentum to at least playing host to an NCAA Regional. The series begins at 6:30 p.m. Friday on the Longhorn Network and continues at 2:30 p.m. Saturday on FOX Sports Net with the series finale starting at 2:00 p.m. Sunday on LHN.

Other series in the Big 12 for the weekend include Oklahoma State at Kansas (16-11, 3-3). The Cowboys (21-6, 3-2) look to remain in striking distance of the Sooners to make Bedlam even more important in mid May. The Texas Tech Red Raiders (17-14, 4-5) travel to Manhattan to take on Kansas State (20-10, 3-3) in a series both need to have any serious NCAA Tournament aspirations.

Finally, the Mountaineers (16-13, 3-3), who are coming off seven straight wins, travel to Waco to take on Baylor, who surprisingly find themselves below .500. If the Bears (14-15, 3-2) are to turn things around it will start with continued production by Grayson Porter, who blasted two homeruns en route to winning Big 12 Player of the Week last week.