Top basketball recruit Julius Randle on hand for embarrassing Texas performance

Saturday’s thoroughly humiliating 73-47 loss to the Kansas Jayhawks, in which the Longhorns barely shot over 20% from the field and totaled three assists the entire game, was
enough to make any Texas fan fall into a deep depression. But the embarrassment didn’t end there.

Julius Randle, the No. 1 basketball recruit in the state of Texas, and the No. 2 recruit in the entire country, according to, was in attendance -- as a visitor for the Jayhawks.

It was the second time in less than two weeks that Randle watched the Longhorns get embarrassed. The 6-foot-9 forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy visited Texas on Feb. 9 and watched the Longhorns shoot 39 percent from the field and 5.6 percent from the three-point line in a 72-59 loss to Oklahoma State.

Randle, who is already being projected as an NBA lottery pick, claims that Texas’ struggles this season won’t affect his decision, and true to form, the Longhorns remain on his short list. But it’s hard to imagine such a top-notch prospect declining offers from the likes of Kentucky, Kansas and Florida to save a drowning Texas program.

The Longhorns have only one basketball commit so far, lightly touted point guard Isaiah Taylor from The Village School in Houston. Randle would be a huge boon to the class and could help lure other prospects to Austin, but the chances of landing the recruit after performances like this one seem slim at best.