Longhorns PG Myck Kabongo issues statement, says he's ready to move on from suspension and play Wednesday

Texas point guard Myck Kabongo, who averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 assists per game as a freshman in 2011, is coming back for his sophmore season.

Texas Longhorns point guard Myck Kabongo, who has completed his NCAA-mandated 23-game suspension for receiving impermissible benefits last summer (a $475 plane ticket for a workout in Cleveland), released a statement Monday saying he was ready to play Wednesday against Iowa State and that he was sorry for misleading NCAA and UT officials. Kabongo's ban for receiving an impermissible benefit would have been the standard 10 games, but because he provided incorrect information during the investigation process, the NCAA banned Kabongo for the entire season on Dec. 19. The Longhorns, however, submitted an appeal shortly thereafter and won, cutting his suspension to 23 games.

“I am ready to start playing with my team again and putting behind me the last several months," Kabongo said in the statement. "When I went to Cleveland last summer, I did not intend to break any rules and did not believe I had broken any. I should have been upfront with UT about everything the first time I had a chance, but I’m glad that I corrected my mistake and I’m glad that I was truthful with the NCAA.  

I have learned a lot about myself and what is important to me through this process. I have a great team, and they have supported me all year. I believe I am a better teammate and am looking forward to finishing the season with my team.  I want to thank my teammates and my coaches for sticking by and supporting me all year.”