Three football players arrested, unlikely to face suspensions [UPDATED]

Updated at 8:25 p.m. on May 10: Head coach Mack Brown has addressed the incident, saying the following at a Caring for Kids banquet in Lakeway:

"We wish they weren’t out that late and we wish that if somebody had asked them to leave, they’d leave. We’ve had a long, hard conversation with the three men..the most important thing is that they learn a lesson. If there is a citation involved, we try really hard to hear their side of the story and be fair. We’ll have some really stiff action to help them learn from being out to late and not leaving when asked…we’ll have some disciplinary action but we’ll keep that in-house."

Though it's not exactly an official statement — the UT athletic department has not responded to a request made by the Daily Texan for one — it looks like a good bet that Vaccaro, Okafor and Matthews will not miss any games this season. 

Updated at 10:00 p.m. on May 7: The general feeling of those in the football program is that Monday's arrest will not result in any serious suspensions. "They did nothing worth being arrested for," said somebody involved in the day-to-day operations of the team.

Also, Vaccaro reached out to to fans Monday evening, tweeting: "Everything is all good. Nothing happened. Total misunderstanding...Won't be standing in line for pizza ever again!"

AUSTIN — As KXAN first reported, APD arrested and charged early Monday morning three members of the Texas football team — Kenny Vaccaro, Alex Okafor and Barrett Matthews — with failure to obey a lawful order, a misdemeanor. Also arrested was Eryon Barnett, a former player who announced his intent to transfer earlier this year.

The four had just placed an order at Roppolo’s Pizza (316 E. 6th Street) a little after 1 a.m. (they were arrested at 1:30 a.m.) when they were approached by a police officer, who instructed them to move along, according to a source with intimate knowledge of the situation.

“They were at the window, waiting for their pizza and being a little loud when an officer all of the sudden came by and told them to 'go on.' Apparently, the police had been notified of a confrontation between the players and a group of guys a little on up the street,” said the source. “Anyways, one of the guys got smart with the officer and, before you know it, they were all in the back of the cop car.”

According to an APD spokesperson, Vaccaro, Okafor and Matthews spent two hours in jail before receiving their reapparance dates, and were then released. The charge is a Class C misdemeanor punisheable by a fine of $500 or less.