Two five-star recruits top Longhorns' Christmas list

It's that time of the year again. The nation's top high school athletes have all but wrapped up their football seasons and it's time for business. While many recruits have pledged their allegiance to their college of choice in the form of strong verbal commitments, and now official signings, there are still a few high-profile athletes that have yet to make their commitments official.

As of right now two of the nation's top three players, defensive end Mario Edwards and wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham, have yet to ink their national letters of intent as to where they will play their college football. It just so happens that both players list Texas as one of their final choices in the recruitment process. Here's a breakdown of what Edwards and Green-Beckham bring to the table and where Texas stands in landing the pair.

Mario Edwards

Edwards, a 6-foot-4 270-pound monster, is listed as the top player in ESPNU's 150 (an annual list compiled by ESPN/Under Armour ranking the nation's top 150 high school seniors). While the Denton native is currently listed as committed to Florida State, he has since waivered on that decision and has been shopping other offers for quite some time now. Edwards is somewhat a rarity at the defensive end position as he can stop both the pass and the run exceptionally well. His quickness and strength are unmatched by any player in his class. He's already got the size of an elite end, and if inserted in a strength and conditioning program like that of Texas', he could blossom into an absolute beast on the edge. Edwards would be able to compete for immediate playing time on the line and if he puts on any more weight he could become a potent run-stopper at the defensive tackle spot. Anywhere he plays he'll make an impact.

After taking his official visit to Austin in November it was revealed that Edwards felt right at home around the Longhorns' other commitments for the class of 2012, and that him becoming a Longhorn was beginning to become more feasible. Not to mention that one of Edwards' high school teammates at Denton Ryan, linebacker Alex de la Torre, has already pledged to play for the Longhorns in 2012. Edwards told the Daily Texan that Texas was his new favorite and gave the Longhorns a 65-percent shot, and his signature would catapult an already impressive recruiting class into the stratosphere in terms of talent and potential.

Dorial Green-Beckham

Another gift that the Longhorns would love to unwrap this holiday season would come in the form of a 6-foot-6, 220 pound receiver out of Springfield, Mo. Ranked No. 3 in the ESPNU 150 is Dorial Green-Beckham, whose size will immediately kindle memories of another giant receiver that simply goes by "Megatron" (the Detroit Lion's Calvin Johnson). While DGB still has a way to go before he reaches one-name-fame, he certainly has all the tools in place. What he brings to an offense could be compared to the versatility of a Swiss army knife. Not only can he torch opposing cornerbacks with 4.4 speed in the 40-yard dash, but with hands the size of small countries, he can snag nearly anything thrown his way. Add the size of a billboard and it's easy to see why this guy has garnered offers from seemingly every university in existence. Should Texas sign DGB, it would be an immediate boon to the offense and would make the Longhorns a serious national title contender. He's that good.

Green-Beckham took his official visit to Austin the same time that Edwards did and he seemed to like the feel of the 40 Acres just as much. Conservative estimates have the possibility of DGB becoming a Longhorn in the 70-80 percent range as well. If the decision does indeed come down to Arkansas and Texas, it could be a tough call for Green-Beckham. One caveat is that he wants to stay close to home because of an ailing younger brother, but reports are that his health is improving.

Should Texas sign either one of these players they would receive a plus player at either position and would benefit immediately. If not, they still have a superb class of athletes coming in that will no doubt impress as the next year unfolds. Green-Beckham and Edwards are more than must-have players, they are undoubtedly tops on Texas' wish list. Wouldn't it be a nice present for the Longhorn nation if they were to sign soon.