Senior infielder arrested Saturday

Senior infielder Jordan Etier was arrested Saturday for possession of marijuana and evasion of arrest. He did not play in the Sunday scrimmage.

Texas baseball player Jordan Etier was arrested Saturday for the misdemeanors of possession of marijuana and evading arrest, according to reports from the Travis County Sheriff’s office.

Etier, who was booked in the afternoon, left central booking after posting a $2,000 bail.

“I don’t know what the administration is going to do, I’ll have to meet with them tomorrow,” head coach Augie Garrido said of Etier’s status with the team. “I really don’t have any accurate information on the [arrest], other than what the result of it was.”

A skilled defensive infielder, Etier did not participate in the Sunday scrimmage against Houston. In his absence, sophomore Christian Summers played shortstop and freshman Brooks Marlow played second base. Etier played second last season for the Longhorns but, with the loss of Brandon Loy, was a candidate to switch over to shortstop, the position he played at Westlake High School. He had been learning to switch-hit as well, saying, “I figured I would keep working at it and it would help us in the spring.”

A two-year starter, he was also set to enter this season as one of the key figures in the clubhouse this season, saying at the start of fall practice that he needed to “be a leader and a competitor for the team.”

“We’re going to have good fall work outs and that will continue into a great season. The closer we can grow together and communicate, the better team we’re going to be.”

Etier spent much of his freshman year, the 2009 season, watching from the dugout. He enjoyed a breakout campaign his sophomore season, belting nine home runs as a first-year starter. As a junior, he hit for a .237 batting average, struck out 33 times and hit two homers, including a game-clincher against Arizona State in the second game of the NCAA Super Regionals.

Printed on Monday, October 17, 2011 as: Misdemeanor arrests leave infielder's future uncertain