Longhorns snakebitten along the line

For each Casey Hampton, there’s an Andre Jones. For each Shaun Rogers, there’s a Derek Johnson. For every Lamarr Houston, there’s a Quincy Russell.

At least, that’s the way it seems these days at Texas, which can either be referred to as DT-U, or DT-Boo.

In all, there are five former Longhorn defensive tackles playing in the professional ranks. There are also six since 2007 whose careers haven’t panned out exactly as planned.

2007: Andre Jones — A top defensive tackle in the country, Jones spent more time in jail (five days) than he did on the field (not one snap) after being charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon during a holdup in late summer of 2007. Jones was suspended by Mack Brown after the burglary — one of his cohorts was then-safety Robert Joseph — and eventually dismissed from the program.

2007: Tyrell Higgins — Played for Texas, left Texas, played for Texas, left Texas. Higgins’ roller coaster of a Longhorn career came to an end in December when he left the program with one year of eligibility left. He originally signed in 2007, but left the next spring because of personal reasons. He came back in 2008 as a walk-on and re-earned his scholarship. Perhaps he didn’t play as much as he would have liked last fall, because he left school again.

2008: Jarvis Humphrey — One of the sadder stories in recent memory, Humphrey came to school as a highly regarded tackle with an opportunity to play quickly. But a strange kidney condition forced him to sit out a year and a half before he ultimately withdrew from the program.

2009: Derek Johnson — The out-of-state recruit from Arkansas transferred back home to Arkansas State University after a year because of family issues. “I recently had a little boy who was born premature,” Johnson told the Jonesboro Sun in July 2010. “I’m moving back home where my family can help.”

2010: Taylor Bible — Well, at least Bible is still on the team. He’s just not the guy the Longhorns thought they were getting, at 310 lbs, which is 50 lbs (!) higher than his reported weight as a high schooler. The jury is still out on him after a redshirt year, but Bible is running out of chances to make an impact.

2011: Quincy Russell — Tuesday’s news that the Sam Houston High School product failed to qualify at UT and will attend junior college ensures that, for the fifth straight year, something goes wrong for the Longhorns at the defensive tackle position.

Read more about Quincy Russell here.