Goodwin reshirting benefits both sides

Marquise Goodwin’s decision to redshirt the upcoming football season in order to train for the 2011 World Championships and possibly the 2012 Olympics is best for him and the football team. Here are five reasons why:

1. It allows Goodwin to chase his initial dream.

If you remember, Goodwin was the No. 1 track recruit in the nation coming out of Rowlett High School in 2009. He took home two gold medals in the 2008 IAAF World Junior Championships, and was going to Texas to build off that. He joined the football team as well and, rather surprisingly, became a quick contributor at wide receiver. So it makes sense that Goodwin will chase what he came to college to do.

“I honestly see myself as a professional track athlete,” Goodwin told ESPN Rise in a 2009 interview.

2. It doesn’t throw Goodwin into an uncomfortable situation.

Even if he had elected to participate in this year’s football season, Goodwin would have missed the season opener against Rice after qualifying for the 2011 IAAF World Championships. And he would have missed all of summer and fall camps to do so (he already missed spring practices). This might have been a problem for a couple of reasons.

First, missing that much football would have created a steep learning curve of the new Texas offense — one that might take Goodwin at least a month to feel completely comfortable with. Also, it would not have gone over very well with some other wideouts on the team who would be vulnerable to lose their starting job or spot in the receiver rotations the moment Goodwin’s track obligations were fulfilled.

3. It opens the door for others to gain experience.

Speaking of those wide receivers, many of them stand to benefit from Goodwin sitting out a year. DeSean Hales has been waiting his turn at the slot position for a while, and he should finally get a chance to start. Fan favorite D.J. Monroe should get more touches. Chris Jones and John Harris, two who redshirted last season, were not supposed to be in line for immediate playing time — now one or both will be asked to play a significant role. Freshmen Jaxon Shipley and Miles Onyegbule should also get better chances to show what they can do. This all means that Texas will enter next season with many receivers with game experience, plus Goodwin, and that will go a long way to making next year’s offense a scary one.

4. It loads the wide receiver position.

Goodwin sitting out a year will make him a junior receiver in 2012 rather than a senior, meaning he’ll fall into the same class as Mike Davis and Darius White. If those three all stay for the 2013 season — their senior year — they will be joined on the field by Jones, Harris, Shipley, Onyegbule (who would be juniors) and Texas commits Cayleb Jones and Thomas Johnson, who would be sophomores.

Why is 2013 so important?

It would be the first year without Garrett Gilbert (assuming he finishes his career as the starting quarterback), meaning whoever steps in to replace him would have an absolutely stacked receiving corps to throw to.

5.It gives Texas an advantage in recruiting two-sport athletes.

The fact that Mack Brown is OK with Goodwin taking this year off should give him some street cred among the athletes that would at least like the opportunity to consider playing two sports in college.

Take super recruit Tyrone Swoopes, the starting quarterback at Whitewright — who has skills similar to Vince Young — and one of Texas’ biggest targets for the 2013 class. He is also an all-state basketball player who averaged 20 points and nine rebounds in his sophomore season. Swoopes may never play two sports in college, but he might like to hear from Brown that it would be fine if he wanted to.