Omaha: Day 1

A patron at the Ice House sits under a Longhorn flag. The next two weeks will determine whether the horns win the College World Series like they did in 2005.

We all slept in till around noon today. That’s what 13 hours on the road will do to you. It was a pretty slow day with a lot of time spent stealing wi-fi at Starbucks (sucks to suck, La Quinta Internet).

Despite the lack of action (media activity gets in full swing Friday), we still found a way to make a connection with the Texas baseball.

We went to Ice House, a sports bar where Texas had its celebration in 2005 after the national championship. It’s a really cool place — about 25 TVs, two of them with a Keno game — and a lot of sports memorabilia on the walls.

We spoke with the Ice House manager, Brian, who worked during the post-game party.

“I hardly remember anything because of how busy I was,” he said. “It got pretty late and we didn’t think anybody was coming, and then about 20 [players, families and baseball staff] showed up. And then, about 10 or 15 more people would show up every 15 minutes.”

Ice House, which is about 20 miles away from downtown Omaha, hasn’t hosted any more team parties since then.

“Most of the teams are staying downtown now, closer to the stadium,” Brian said. “They probably don’t want to come all the way out here.”

Thanks for reading, stay tuned.