Softball: Texas draws 3rd seed in NCAA tournament

Texas draws 3rd seed, hosts regional

Texas has received a number three seed in the NCAA tournament, and will host a regional from May 20-22 at Red and Charline McCombs Field.  The field is made up of 64 teams, and splits them into 16 regional pods that play in a double elimination bracket style tournament to advance to the next round.

The other teams in the Austin regional are Texas State (33-23), Houston (40-16), and Louisiana Lafayette (49-9). This is a favorable draw for Texas as they have already beaten Houston and Texas State on the year, and they will be playing in front of their home crowd, a place where they have only lost 3 times on the year. 

However Texas should not overlook these teams, as this is the exact round the Longhorns lost in last year, in the same situation as well hosting their own regional in Austin. Though after falling short of the Big 12 title look for the Longhorns to come out hungry and motivated to move into the next round.

Texas wins 9 All Big 12 awards

Texas received nine All-Big 12 selections’ yesterday the most in the Big 12, including seven All-Big 12 team honors, and Big 12 Player of the Year, and Big 12 Freshman of the Year.

Senior Amy Hooks was the recipient of the Big 12 player of the Year award, the first ever Longhorn to win in that category. Hooks was a definition of a team leader on the year hitting .338 with 12 home runs and 35 RBI’s, on top of playing near perfect defense behind the plate.

Taylor Thom was the selection for the freshman of the year award, and is the sixth winner of the award in Texas history, following Blaire Luna from the previous year. Thom hit .356 on the season with 11 home run and 41 RBI’s.

Hooks, Luna, Thom, and sophomore Taylor Hoagland were selected to the All-Big 12 first team. While freshman Brejae Washington, junior Lexy Bennett and junior Nadia Taylor were chosen for second team accolades.