The nation approves of the first lady as an Oscars award presenter

Actress Olivia Munn arrives at the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre on Sunday Feb. 24, 2013, in Los Angeles. (Photo by John Shearer/Invision/AP)

The 2013 Oscars have come and gone, and were relatively devoid of surprises.

Seth MacFarlane managed to offend half of the women in Hollywood with his lovely “We Saw Your Boobs” chorus (with the exception of Jennifer Lawrence, who took all of MacFarlane’s jokes like the champion that she is).

"Argo" won best picture, and Ben Affleck gave everyone a taste of his speed-speaking skills. Anne Hathaway gave the same teary-eyed, cheesy acceptance speech she has managed to trademark this awards season.

Things were pretty predictable all night, but there were a few welcome surprises.

Apparently, Charlize Theron can ballroom dance? Who knew Seth MacFarlane could sing? Catherine Zeta-Jones is indeed still alive, and can still rock a black bob haircut as Velma Kelly. And Steven Spielberg of "Lincoln" lost the award for Best Director to Ang Lee of "Life of Pi."

If the award for Best Picture is going to continue to be given by the first lady, or by any other political figure for that matter, the audience needs to be alerted in advance. Nobody was prepared to watch Michelle Obama’s bangs deliver the award for Best Picture to "Argo."

But hey, awards season can get a little monotonous. So thanks, Mrs. Obama, for mixing it up a bit for us.

Next time, how about a guest appearance from the president himself? It’s the Oscars, after all. Anything goes.