The Harlem Shake is still happening

Beginning with a lackluster and bewildering video on YouTube that somehow managed to get upwards of 3 million views, the “Harlem Shake” video has reached different locations across the states, including office buildings and college campuses. Even Longhorns have found inspiration in the weird shaking dance move.

Here on the 40 Acres, our own "Harlem Shake" was filmed and plenty of UT students can be seen filling the South Mall in this absurd video. Take that, A&M.

Psychology senior Albert Chavez, who learned of the filming through a Facebook invite, stands out for taking his shirt off and whipping it around.

“I figured it was my senior year, my last semester, so I might as well have fun with it,” Chavez said.

A director stood on a ladder with a camera to capture the South Mall at approximately 12:30 p.m. They filmed the first take with Bevo while the people dressed in costume stood on the side. After the scene with Bevo finished, all the people in the first scene moved off the lawn and were replaced by the costumed people looking to take center stage.

“I made it front and center,” Chavez said proudly. “I wanted something noticeable, that people could spot me with. That’s why I took off my shirt. Honestly. I don’t take off my shirt in public often.”

Chavez said it was 40 seconds of dancing and going crazy as much as they could. He acknowledged that his friend in the Spider-Man costume had to time his backflip perfectly, but his favorite person was the guy who rode his bike across the lawn and waved.

“I laugh every time, but there was a Hulk making love to a bike rack, and that was pretty funny,” Chavez said. “Mad props to them. I think someone wrote ‘Hulk smash’ on the YouTube comments. But yeah, it was well worth it. It’s going to be hard to top that one. I hope A&M is jealous.”