The Basement Tapes: Breanne Düren

Breanne Düren just released her debut EP, “Sparks”, and is now the opening act for Owl City’s “All Things Bright and Beautiful World Tour.” Düren sights the excitement of touring with Owl City as inspiration for her EP. (Photo Illustration)

Seated in a blue armchair, tuning her guitar, pop singer-songwriter Breanne Düren doesn’t look like a celebrity, much less an opening act for Owl City’s All Things Bright and Beautiful World Tour. Her smiling eyes, Midwestern accent and buttery voice are just some of the immediate charms of her bubbly, yet down-to-earth personality.

While in Austin for her Wednesday night performance with Owl City at ACL Live, Breanne Düren performed two songs from her debut EP, Sparks, for The Daily Texan’s music blog series, The Basement Tapes. She shared with the Texan her thoughts on working with Adam Young of Owl City (whom she has toured and performed with twice), being a young pop artist and the inspirations behind her music.

Daily Texan: Can you tell me what’s the inspiration behind Sparks?
Breanne Düren: I wrote the EP while I was on tour with Owl City, within the first couple years of doing that. And it was a really, really new experience for me. I had never toured before. I was able to travel to all these places that I had never dreamed of ever being able to see in real life. Meeting a bunch of new people. Being able to just have the incredible experience at such a young age that it was all really exciting, I think that excitement and energy was put into the songs I wrote. And so there’s definitely energy to it and innocence to it.

DT: So what is it like working with Adam?
BD: Oh my gosh, it’s been amazing. He is so talented. He is one of the most down-to-earth people I’ve ever met in my life. He’s just a great, humble, nice guy as well so it’s just a fun tour to be on. Everyone on the tour is great and we’re all really close friends and we’re just one big tour family.

DT: What are some highlights of that first tour for you?
BD: There had been some many incredible moments. We were able to play at
Madison Square Garden. It was the Jingle Ball in 2009 and we were playing with a bunch of these huge pop stars — Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift, John Mayer and all these other artists. We were able to play a song, one song, and it was just a magical experience. I have been able to see places all over the world. Once we had a day off in Beijing and we were able to climb the Great Wall of China, so that was another moment of sort of “pinch me, is this actually my real life?”

DT: Are you working on an LP right now?
BD: Yeah, I am! Being on tour is a great environment for me to write. There’s a lot of creative energy floating around. I’ve already started recording some demos. Hopefully by early next year maybe we’ll be spending time in the studio or start wrapping up the full length.

DT: What are some inspirations behind the materials you’re writing?
BD: It’s definitely going to feel like an actual progression from the Sparks EP ... just the experiences I’ve had in these couple years that I’ve been living and growing. Just some bitter questions such as what does my future look like? What do I want for myself? And also, relationship things. They are always the first things I write about.

Printed on Thursday, July 28, 2011 as: Pop artist possess 'Sparks' of inspiration