The Basement Tapes: Groups hopes to receive enough donations for debut release

Local Austin rock band Major Major Major released their first self titled EP this month.

With only about $500 and three days left to meet their pledged goal of $3,500 on Kickstarter.com, local indie rock band Major Major Major can almost take a breath of relief. If the band meets their goal (which from the looks of it, they will), the fundraised money will pay for parts of their recording session for their debuting, self-titled EP, which is set to release this fall.

Though fairly a new band, the chemistry between the quartet —which includes psychology junior and singer-songwriter Adrian Sebastian, American studies senior and drummer Andrew Torrey, philosophy junior and bassist Jeff Crozier, and physics senior and guitarist Seth Whitsitt — during and after performances is amicable and effortless. Although there's also an easiness to Major Major Major's sound and performance, their blend of pop and rock music is nothing short of precision, thoughtfulness and fun. 

The Daily Texan interviewed Major Major Major during the Basement Tapes about their Kickstarter project, Sebastian's feminist inspiration for the EP and the recent addition of Cozier and Torrey.

The Daily Texan: A lot of bands have been using Kickstarter.com as the fundraising method to fund their albums. How has the website worked for you, and how do you feel about it in general?

Seth Whitsitt: It depends on if our fans get involved.

Andrew Torrey: Yeah, we might be kind of bitter. [laughs]

Adrian Sebastian: We are like on the cut. We’re like $600 dollars away, which is a lot compare to the $2,900 that we raised. So we’re a little nervous.

Torrey: It’s a very mutual system where we give them music and they help us pay for it. Where before, we would have had to pay for it all by ourselves.

Sebastian: It is pretty amazing that we can even ask for money, for that large of an amount. It’s pretty amazing that we’ve raised $2,900 for something that no one has heard or really knows about. I mean they know us, we have a video up there and everything, but yeah, it’s pretty cool.

DT: How much will this cover for the recording process?

Sebastian: Well, we don’t know because it’s going to be kind of a long process so for the first wave, it’s not going to cover everything. I think as far as the studio time, we’re looking at $3,000 for the studio time, including the tape over. A $1,000 mix, so we’re looking at $5,000.

Torrey: So we’re still paying it from our pockets.

Jeff Cozier: But it’s one of those things where it’s cool that our fans can help us towards a goal that we’ll eventually reach.

DT: So the first EP always kind of sets the tone and the vibe for the band’s future, so what can people expect from this EP?

Sebastian: The first three songs are a stream of conscious, as they are pretty much all one song. I wrote them all in one try and they are all pretty much about the same thing. And all of the songs pretty much have the same theme.

DT: And what’s that?

Sebastian: The theme is well, see, the last song is Seth’s song so I can’t really speak for his, but we can kind of wrote the lyrics together to make it coherent. So it’s basically about, I got into like this phase ten months ago and I was just convinced, and I’m probably still in this phase and still convinced that women are just completely better than men are. Yeah, I got into this phase and I just felt random guilt, which was comical to me, but also it made sense. It was ironic, so I thought that was funny, so I wrote about it. The fourth song, which is “I Wouldn’t Mind At All,” that’s about a guy — I’ve never gone through this experience but — where he knows for sure that his girlfriend has been completely cheating on him and she doesn’t respect him or anything like that. But he knows that if he ends up standing up to her saying ‘fuck this, I’m not dealing with this, she’s totally using me,’ he’s still going to feel just at vacant and lonely, so he just lets it die out. So it’s kind of an opposite role of men having the superiority and being able to cheat on women and women being just like ‘oh, okay.’ Because if a girl cheats on a dude, it’s like ‘fucking over, it’s fucking over, we’re done’ and I say this for myself to because I would not stay in it for that but I just thought it was an interesting kind of psychology.

DT: So you guys are fairly new in coming together, how has that been?

Sebastian: It’s been great. From my personal opinion, it’s the best that this band has ever sounded. Andrew and Jeff are really into it and they try. Which not a lot of musicians try, believe it or not some don’t fucking care. [Andrew and Jeff] care about it. It’s not ‘I’m just going to play drums.’ They want to get it down. They want to play the songs over again which is fucking rare. I’m sorry I just hate musicians sometimes, I just hate them, especially rock musicians. It’s such a waste. There are two kinds of musicians, musicians who just cannot stop thinking about it, always think about it and want it, and then there’s the ones who just do it for fun like they play chess for fun. You know, so they don’t really care. I sound like a real big asshole right now. [laughs]. It’s just great to play with people who care. It is important to find out ... figure out what kind of music we can make together, instead of playing in our own worlds and not try to connect with each other. I guess that’s the ultimate goal.

Whitsitt: One of the most important things any band can do is be open to as many influences as possible. And I always think its great if you are playing with new people, no matter what the writing process is or the playing process is, the fact that everybody is really into what they are in to, it’s the most important in playing as a band.

DT: So two questions — stemming off from that is one, what’s a major difference in the band’s sound before Andrew and Jeff came a long and then, what are some of your influences?

Sebastian: Your basement. [laughs] I think it was a lot more boring. I know it’s harsh and pessimistic. I think that for me personally the way I write songs is I write them and I am like ‘this is a good song’ and that’s it. And I thought that was all that mattered. And it’s not. When I started listening to them — I never listened to them, I just played them — but when I started listening to them, I thought ‘I would never listen to this.’ It’s not bad but it just wasn’t interesting.

DT: And your influences?

Cozier: The Beatles. It's not something we've discussed before, but the Beatles are definitely an inspiration.