Choose hope over fear in special election

In light of this University's shenanigans (I recently referred to the conduct as befitting a banana republic), I had to vote again today in Student Government executive alliance elections.

After initially ignoring them in the first round, I spent a significant amount of time in the last couple days considering the ticket of Daniel Chapman and Austin Robinson. Their original campaign consisted of strange humor juxtaposed with an erudite platform. But in the last couple days, the strategy has gotten much simpler: Abolish SG. It's short, sweet and to the point.

I must say, that's very tempting for me, as I assume it is for countless other students frustrated with the frivolity of SG. It's a noxious institution that, at times, seems utterly unconcerned with anything other than ensuring the Plan II students who monopolize their slots get into good law schools or land plush consulting gigs at Deloitte.

That's our reality.

But I ended up sticking to my greater principles and once again voting for the ticket of Kallen Dimitroff and Jesse Guadiana. Basically, I decided to pick hope over fear.

I'm seldom an optimist. I'm usually about the most cynical person in the room. But I have to think that SG can do something, anything, to improve the lot of students. I just can't give up and support burning it all to the ground.

The Texan Editorial Board — in backing the ticket of Kevin Helgren and Binna Kim — lauded the prospect of a "culture change" within SG. But in filing frivolous complaint after frivolous complaint against their chief opponent, Helgren-Kim appear resigned to continuing the same toxic culture that has dominated the rolling calamity that has been this year's election. (Dimitroff-Guadiana has also filed complaints against competitors, though they have had more merit than Helgren-Kim’s complaints, which have recently revolved around sandbags and chili pepper outfits).

Indeed, it has been Dimitroff-Guadiana that most wants to change things for the better. The ticket is optimistic about the future. I can think of no other word for people so resiliently sanguine about what SG is and should be. And their sangfroid in the face of competitors who want to get rid of the institution they have done so much in is nothing short of commendable.

There is a tremendous amount of SG experience under the belts of this ticket. Unlike last year, I find this to be a positive for the campaign. Dimitroff in particular, with four years in and around SG, has very strong opinions about what the group she has dedicated so much time and energy to should be. It has not lived up to her expectations, and she wants to do something about it.

There's a word for that: hope. And, despite my cynicism, I'll choose hope over fear every time.   

Horwitz is a government senior from Houston. He is a senior columnist. Follow Horwitz on Twitter @nmhorwitz.