ACL Fest 2019, new and improved

Photo Credit: Barbra Daly | Daily Texan Staff

Since 2002, Austin City Limits Music Festival has lined up a diverse set of acts. Originally a two-day event with 67 artists, ACL has grown since its creation. Now featuring more than 130 performers, the two-weekend event draws music lovers from far and wide to the heart of Austin. 

As the festival has evolved, more amenities have been added to improve the festivalgoers’ experiences. The Daily Texan compiled a list of this year’s
additions set to make 2019 the best festival yet.

New stage

At the new Bonus Tracks Stage, festivalgoers can enjoy conversations with Andrew Knowlton, editor-at-large at Bon Appétit magazine, and other special guests. Students can also take part in podcast recordings, interactive wellness events and more from select ACL Cares organizations. These organizations include Bon Appétit, goop, NPR Music, KUTX and Outdoor Voices. The stage schedule is available on the ACL website. 

Less waiting in entrance lines

ACL Fest has added more screening lanes and expanded all entrances. As always, it’s good to know what is allowed and what is not before arriving at the gates. Leave bags at home to take advantage of the No Bag Express Lanes. If attendees do bring a bag, they are restricted to small totes with no more than one pocket or opening, according to the festival’s website. 

While reusable bottles and hydration packs are allowed, they must be empty before entering. The festival advises fans to drink water before going through security.

Festival fashion

Shop official merchandise beyond the park at the ACL Fest pop-up shop. In conjunction with the Pre-Festival Box Office, the pop-up shop will be located at Native Hostel and will feature lineup tees, posters, hats and more. The store runs noon to 7 p.m. on Oct. 2-3, then Oct. 7-10. ACL Fest suggests shopping early for the best selections.

Beer fare

Presented by Scholz Garten, the oldest restaurant, bar and live music venue in Texas, the Barton Springs Beer Hall will now offer food and beer pairings with Karbach Brewing beverages. A vegetarian option is available upon request.

Hi, how are you?

In honor of Austin’s Daniel Johnston, the singer-songwriter and visual artist who painted the famous “Hi, How Are You” frog mural at the corner of Guadalupe and 21st streets, ACL Cares presents the Hi, How Are You Lounge. The Hi, How Are You Project provides a platform for conversation and education on mental health. Stop by the new lounge to enjoy shaded seating and conversation. 

Chat Bot

Although the ACL information page is a reliable go-to for frequently asked questions, the ACL Chat Bot is now available for attendees who don’t find the answer they’re looking for online. To request an issue, download the ACL Fest app on a mobile device. The Chat Bot is available on the app both before and after the festival.

Go green

This year, ACL Fest will sell reusable cups at the Barton Springs Beer Hall. It is one way to party sustainably and go home with a commemorative item.

Sponsored bites

DoorDash, an ACL Fest sponsor, makes top ACL Eats vendors, such as Amy’s Ice Creams and Chi’Lantro, available to those at home. However, for those at the festival, the chance to win free food, VIP tickets and more is possible at the DoorDash tent.