7 Fashion Trends for Football Season

Photo Credit: Ella Williams | Daily Texan Staff

Texas Longhorn football season is upon us. With two games down, there’s still time to coordinate the perfect outfit to flex on other students squeezed into their overcrowded designated section.

First there are some things to be considered, such as the unpredictable Texas weather, clear bag policy and game day’s long bouts of standing.

“As far as heat goes, natural fabrics are great if you’re looking for something breathable,” said Raquel Greer Gordian, an Austin-based image consultant and personal stylist.

The Daily Texan asked Gordian about her favorite game day looks of the season. These are her tips for how to stay on trend with the heat and safety restrictions.

1. Beyond burnt orange.

When styling burnt orange, know what the components of the color are.

“Burnt orange is a deep, warm, soft color,”  Gordian said. “You want to think about styling that with colors of similar characteristics.”

She suggests other warm colors, such as yellow or gold. Denim compliments burnt orange as well, but the key is using the same tone throughout an outfit.

2. Stay gold.

“Chunky gold accessories are one of the biggest trends this fall,” Gordian said.

Gordian suggests pairing pendant necklaces with V-neck clothing, such as a graphic tee or jumpsuit, or sporting rose gold as another fun option to complement a burnt orange ensemble.

If necklaces aren’t your style, “The bigger the hoops, the better,” Gordian said about earrings.

3. Animal print is the new black.

Another trend is animal prints. Gordian said animal prints function as a neutral on game day. The yellow, golden and mustard tones pair well with burnt orange. Gordian, who gravitates toward leopard and cheetah print, said the combination of metallics with print is also coming back in style. Urban Outfitters, Longhorn Fashions and Nordstrom Rack are among stores showcasing animal print styles.

4. Flat and fierce.

“Lucky for us, sneakers and sandals are in,” Gordian said, adding that both are comfortable and stay that way from the pregame tailgate to the postgame celebration.

Fashion sneakers made with fabrics such as suede, leather or satin dress up any look, she said. For an open-toe option, platform sandals provide the silhouette of heels with the comfort of sneakers. Fashion sneakers and sandals can be found anywhere from Target to Neiman Marcus.

5. In the clear.

With the clear bag policy, a great deal of clear plastic accessories are in the stands this season. Backpacks, totes and fanny packs are available with colorful accents such as burnt orange leather. Gordian recommends retailers such as Kelly Wynne, c. jane and The Impeccable Pig. For less expensive options, she suggests the University Co-op, Uptown Cheapskate and Amazon.

6. Western-inspired wear.

With Longhorns, one of the most popular fall trends is Western-inspired wear — think suede vests, fun fringe and cowboy boots. Gordian said Austin-based boot brand, Tecovas, is a great option for students looking for a versatile shoe.

7. Baby, is it cold outside?

Once temperatures drop, try denim on denim for added warmth.

“If you do a button-down denim skirt or denim pants, add an oversized denim jacket,“ Gordian said. “Then add your cowboy boots, your gold jewelry and you’re good to go.”

Wear what you feel confident in, and yee haw! You’re on trend.