UT assistant professor arrested by APD

This story has been updated since its original publication.

The Austin Police Department on Tuesday arrested and charged a UT assistant professor with public intoxication, evading detention and resisting arrest.

Nedialko Dimitrov, 35, is an assistant professor of mechanical engineering in the Cockrell School of Engineering. The arrest was caught on camera in a video that has since gone viral.

Victoria Watson, who works in the Hyde Park area, began filming Dimitrov after he was approached by an APD officer while waiting at a bus stop at the corner of 42nd and Duval streets, according to Time Warner Cable News.

Dimitrov is seen dancing and stepping side to side as he waits for the bus. In the video, the responding officer is seen trying to speak with Dimitrov but eventually uses a Taser after an aggressive confrontation ensues. Dimitrov is then seen on the ground asking, “Am I under arrest?” multiple times.

Prior to waiting at the bus stop, another woman nearby had called to report Dimitrov because she felt threatened by his behavior, according to Fox 7 News. After the first responding officer used a Taser on Dimitrov, several others responded to the scene.

“The Austin Police Department is aware of the video,” APD said in statement. “As is standard protocol, the chain of command will review the report and all videos to determine if any policy violations occurred. Thank you for your patience as we work through this process. “