Presidential candidates face off in first debate of 2016

This file photo combo of file images shows U.S. presidential candidates Donald Trump, left, and Hillary Clinton. Trump wants to spur more job creation by reducing regulations and cutting taxes to encourage businesses to expand and hire more. He also says badly negotiated free trade agreements have cost millions of manufacturing jobs. He promises to bring those jobs back by renegotiating the NAFTA agreement with Canada and Mexico, withdrawing from a proposed Pacific trade pact with 11 other nations, and pushing China to let its currency float freely on international markets. Clinton has promised to spend $275 billion upgrading roads, tunnels and modern infrastructure such as broadband Internet, to create more construction and engineering jobs. Trump has said in interviews he would spend twice as much

Photo Credit: AP Photo/ Mary Altaffer and Chuck Burton

Tonight, Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton will face off in the first presidential debate of the year. The showdown comes at the apex of one of the most contentious cycles yet as polls tighten nationwide.

A Quinnipiac poll released Monday shows Clinton and Trump are head-to-head across the nation at 47 to 46 percent, respectively.

The debate, which is being held at Hofstra University in New York, begins at 8 p.m. CST. 

Follow @cassi_pollock, @forrestmilburn and @sarahphilips23 for coverage of the College Republicans, University Democrats and LBJ School watch parties.